Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mittens

 First, the little 'uns. Finished now, and used all of the yarn. Sadly, they're too small for the girl, so I sewed up some fleece ones for her, because I felt that letting her be mitten-less wasn't an option, and I had other things to knit. No pictures of those, though.a

Next up, my first stranded colorwork project. Done in Knit Picks Chroma (color transitioning yarn) and Palette (black) they were my sister's Christmas gift, and my only Christmas knitting project. (I went more with sewing and scrapbooking this year).

They're a little oddly shaped, and kind of snug, but they seem to work just fine, and I think they're kind of pretty. The color work was a lot of fun. It made for slower knitting, and tearing the first mitten almost entirely out when it was all but done wasn't fun, but the rest of it was a pleasure. I even learned how to fix mistakes a row or two back. A little tricky, but possible. In short, I'd love to make more stranded mittens. Some time. Right now, it's socks I must finish.

I've also been mulling over the possibility of not buying any new yarn in 2012, with the exception of two Very Special Projects. But I'm not going to set that idea in stone just yet! The hardest thing is that my stash is mostly worsted weight acrylics, and lately I've been working more with lace and sock weight, uh, non-acrylics. But I have so much of the former, that I feel it's kind of wasteful to just have it in tubs, taking up space. What to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment